A MONTH BEFORE THE MOVE
- Reserve a moving company for your move as soon as you know you are moving.
- Purchase moving boxes and packing supplies.
- Begin cleaning out closets, the garage, and attic.
- Host a garage sale or donate your unwanted things to charity.
- Arrange to transfer school records.
- Complete change of address form with USPS.
Notify magazines, charge accounts, insurance companies, clubs, and all other organizations of your address change.
1-2 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Make a “survival closet” of things you will need for the final clean-up and include a snack for the last day.
- If you decide to pack yourself, label all moving boxes as you pack. Write the destination room on the top and sides of each moving box to ensure it gets to the right place in your new home.
- Schedule utility disconnects for gas, electric, water, and telephone. Arrange and schedule connections for your new home.
- Cancel newspapers, cable TV, security, pest control, cleaning help, lawn maintenance, and any other services you receive.
THE WEEK OF THE MOVE
- Finish packing, be sure all items are boxed and ready to go prior to the mover’ arrival.
Clean the stove and finish up any last minute cleaning
THE DAY BEFORE THE MOVE
- Clean the refrigerator, then defrost and dry.
- Get enough cash to tide you over.
Say goodbye to your neighbors!